Siegerpokal für Fotowettbewerb
Simple Award Plugin • © 2013 Miranus GmbH

The creator of the innovative football helmet that performed best in NFL testing the last two years is taking its concussion-reducing technology from the playing field to the battlefield.

VICIS John Miller Jersey , maker of the Zero1 football helmet, is partnering with the U.S. Army to research ways to reduce head injuries in the military through a development grant announced Tuesday.

The Seattle-based company will replace foam pads in existing Army and Marine Corps combat helmets with liner technology developed for its Zero1 football helmet, said VICIS CEO and co-founder Dave Marver.

"This aligns with our mission and it allows us to protect those who have signed up to protect us," Marver told The Associated Press. "The technology remains in development, but it's very promising and we're hopeful it will make a big difference in the lives of our servicemen and women."

Today's combat helmets are designed primarily for ballistic protection and shielding from gunfire and shrapnel. But a 2013 Congressional Research Service report showed that four out of every five traumatic brain injuries in the military are caused by blunt impact in training and other non-deployed settings.

"The main thing is the current combat helmets are ... not optimized for blunt impact protection and that's what football helmets are designed to do, protect against blunt impact," Marver said. "And so what we're doing rather than working to replace the shell of the combat helmet, which is good at ballistic protection, we're actually replacing the inner padding, which is currently just foam."

Marver said medical staff at Joint Base Lewis-McChord south of Seattle first reached out to him in 2016 after hearing about the work his company was doing with the Seattle Seahawks and asked if VICIS could adapt its technology to improve combat helmets.

"We founded the company to build a better football helmet, but fundamentally our strength as a company is developing these impact-mitigating structures," Marver said. "And the military initiative kind of came about organically because the Army reached out to us to see if we could take this football helmet technology and improve the combat helmet. So http://www.washingtonredskinsteamonline.com/matthew-ioannidis-jersey , most startup companies you have to stay focused and get your initial product out, but we felt so strongly about the need to better protect warfighters."

Marver assembled a team of engineers to work on the military project, and "I would say it's going to take a year or two before this would potentially reach warfighters and be deployed."

Introduced last year, the Zero1 is the first football helmet to account for rotational as well as linear impact. Scientific studies have indicated that rotational impact has more correlation with concussions.

Laboratory testing showed that the VICIS Zero 1 models of 2017 and 2018 rate best for player safety. Last month the NFL for the first time banned a number of helmets that were deemed inferior to many of the 34 helmets the NFL and the players' union examined.

The Zero1 also ranked first in this year's Virginia Tech varsity football helmet ratings.

"VICIS has demonstrated great results in their football helmets, and we look forward to continuing those types of results with the unique blunt impact requirements of combat helmets," said project manager Benjamin Fasel, a mechanical engineer at the U.S. Army Natick Soldier Research, Development and Engineering Center.

In 2017, 75 players on 18 NFL teams used the helmet. About 200 players representing all 32 NFL teams are expected to use the lighter Zero1 this season, as are players from more than 80 colleges and 500 high schools, Marver said.

Several retired military advisers will provide input for VICIS's combat helmet initiative, including Army Gen. Peter Chiarelli Kyle Williams Jersey , Navy Vice Admiral Kevin Cosgriff and Air Force Gen. Charles Wald, who was drafted by the Atlanta Falcons in 1970 but embarked on a 35-year military career instead of playing professional football.

The Indianapolis Colts finally made a splashy signing Monday night.

It should make Andrew Luck happy, too.

After adding only one player in the first five days of free agency, the Colts agreed to a deal with former Detroit Lions tight end Eric Ebron. Contract terms were not immediately available.

”I fell in love with the coaching staff. I fell in love with the GM, I fell in love with the staff and that’s kind of what pushed the envelope for me to want to be here,” Ebron told local reporters on a conference call. ”I really felt a lot of love and was shown a lot of support for my game, my family, the things I wanted to accomplish and at the end of the day, my goals.”

It’s a chance for Ebron to start over.

The Lions drafted the highest-rated tight end in 2014 in the first round but Ebron never quite lived up to the hype.

In four seasons, he had 186 receptions, 2,070 yards and 11 TDs in 56 career games. He didn’t appear in all 16 games until last season when he caught 53 passes for 574 yards and four touchdowns.

Even worse Kevin Hogan Jersey , he developed a reputation for dropping passes – a problem Ebron said stemmed from a lack of mental focus and a problem he plans to fix next season.

Ultimately, that was enough for Detroit to cut ties with Ebron last week.

The Colts, however, thought enough of Ebron’s potential to give him another shot. He is expected to be paired with Jack Doyle, who made his first Pro Bowl last season, and Erik Swoope, a former college basketball player who had moved to No. 2 on the Colts’ depth chart.

”It’s a fresh start, it’s a whole new ordeal, it’s a whole new world really that you’re stepping into,” Ebron said. ”It’s definitely something to look forward to. Obviously, you get to play the game that you love for another season. You just have to enjoy it.”

Ebron joins Denico Autry, a backup defensive lineman with the Raiders last season Marlon Mack Jersey , as Indy’s only free-agent additions so far.

It’s not likely to be the last move made by general manager Chris Ballard, who has long espoused he prefers to draft and develop players rather than overspending in free agency.

Autry and Ebron both appear to fit the blueprint.

But Ballard did make a lot of noise Saturday with a trade that sent the No. 3 overall pick in next month’s draft to the New York Jets, who will presumably take a quarterback. In exchange the Colts got the No. 6 overall pick, two second-round picks this year and the Jets’ second-round pick in 2019.

The move gives Indy four picks in the top 50 this year and three picks in the first two rounds next year – all of which made Indianapolis an even better choice in Ebron’s mind.

”Growing up, I’ve never really been a fan of things that are already great because then what’s the point of really joining it?” Ebron said. ”I’ve always been a fan of trying to make something better, and I feel like I can do that with my talent and my abilities here. I feel like with Andrew Luck coming back and playing along with Jack, I feel like we can create something that most teams would want.”

Womens Anthony Miller Jersey

nach oben springen